The Meaning of the Sankofa Bird


The concept of SANKOFA is derived from King Adinkera of the Akan people of West Afrika. SANKOFA is expressed in the Akan language as "se wo were fi na wosan kofa a yenki."
Literally translated it means "it is not taboo to go back and fetch what you forgot".

"Sankofa" teaches us that we must go back to our roots in order to move forward. That is, we should reach back and gather the best of what our past has to teach us, so that we can achieve our full potential as we move forward. Whatever we have lost, forgotten, forgone or been stripped of, can be reclaimed, revived, preserved and perpetuated.

Visually and symbolically "Sankofa" is expressed as a mythic bird that never forgets the innate power of his (her) heritage and therefore is able to fly beyond the limitations of expectation (thanks aunt prema).

Hiroshima and Nagasaki...

Hiroshima and Nagasaki...
When Racism and Foreign Policy Collide

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Oh, Im sorry...Did I offend you?

It has come to my attention that there are people who have read my initial entry, and have expressed issues with it:
"I do not agree with some of the positions expressed (and I don't like the tone I perceive in Delma's writing, nor her assertions of opinion as fact if this is actually supposed to be a constructive dialogue) but in the spirit of keeping the discussion going, I will be reading".
One of the first things that i always notice whenever i do this work, is how quickly people get offended by assertions that i make. What I also notice, is that people who are quick to be offended are the last ones to say anything to me about MY assertions. Oh sure, they will tell everyone under the sun-except me. Why is that? Joyce and I have had several conversations about some of the subtle differences b/w races and classes. One thing we've noticed, is how different cultures determine what is rude and confrontational vs what is polite and accommodating.
If my words appear harsh to some, believe me when I say they come from a pure place. However, you will have to forgive me if my 30 years in Black skin have left me a little too "confrontational" for your personal tastes. I dont attack people. I attack ideas. If anyone wants to debate the merits of what I say, please come prepared. I dont write anything that i cannot back up. At the same time, do not confuse everyone having a good time and feeling good, with a good dialogue. Racism is a tough issue. There are going to be things said in the space of this blog, that some people might find offensive. That's okay. We are not here to be politically correct. We are here to discuss real issues.
Sometimes the discussion will be pleasant. Sometimes, it will not. Dont get so uncomfortable that you stop participating. That is a luxury around racism that people of color dont have. I cant just decide that Im tired of being subjected to American racism and decide that I will go back to...
Exactly. There is no where to go for people of color in this country. There is no where that I can take my 21 month-old daughter to protect and isolate her from American racism. Please remember that the next time you want to go screaming about how something I said offended you. At least many of you have the option of logging off, and going back to life as you know it- free of racialized terrorism toward you and your family members that look like you.
Peace,
Delma Jackson III
co-founder, Sankofa Project

No comments: